Saturday 20 June 2009

Graeme Swann

Graeme Swann says some remarkable things in a Times interview. Surely the most remarkable, to me anyway was this:

"What I said about Monty is true of several people in this squad. I simply don’t know how they have got to their age without electrocuting themselves or doing themselves some real harm. Ravi’s like that, Luke Wright, too. Some of the things they say and do . . . they are just on a different planet. Rob Key asked Adil Rashid the other day what animal a lamb came from . . . he thought it was a cow! He actually said it out loud. The comedy value is priceless. That’s what I meant about Monty. I love him to pieces but I sometimes wonder how he’s got to this stage without wandering in front of a train or a bus.”

4 comments:

Brian Carpenter said...

Interesting but somehow not surprising, Rob.

I've never met him or any of his team-mates but one of the most refreshing things about the way Swann comes across in TV and radio interviews is how 'normal' he seems - you'd guess that he's got a good, wide perspective on life and knows a bit about the world around him, even though he's spelt all his adult life as a professional cricketer.

A lot of cricketers, like many other professional sportsmen, give the impression of living in a narrow, largely immature, bubble, so it's no surprise to hear some of Swann's stories, even if they're hammed up a bit.

Mahesh said...

And I thought Footballers lacked a bit of grey matter ...

Rob said...

I am amazed he got away with saying it the way they like to control the media. If he gets a central contract he may have to be quiet I suppose. It would have been interesting to hear how Rob Key's question to Rashid came about.

Sanath said...

Hi

Pls visit my blog "http://cricketrich.blogspot.com" and if u find the blog interesting I wish u link the blog under the title "Cricket Rich".U r blog has been linked under the title "Cricket Forever"